Below are the most commonly asked questions that we receive. If you have any other questions, please feel free to be in touch.
No question is too simple or too complex.
1. What can AEA do for me, my faculty and my students?
AEA can create an entirely unique program for you from scratch, handle air, hotels, meals, guides, transportation, excursions, and special visits. We can introduce you and your group to people and places that are often untouchable. Or AEA can handle only the parts that you need assistance with, such as that 4-day side trip you want to add to Cusco, with a special lecture by a sharp-witted historian on Day 2. Or AEA can just put your own itinerary in motion. We are flexible. Our primary goal is that you get what you want out of your program. Each program is your course, your faculty, your students, your credit, your dates, yours plain and simple. Whether it be 4 people for 4 weeks or 75 people for 7 days, we will make it happen.
2. What is the average cost of a program?
Each AEA program in unique and completely customized for your group, so costs vary according to your needs and budget. In general, the lowest priced 1-week programs can cost around $1,000 without air to parts of Central America, for example, while many programs up to 6 weeks in SE Asia are under $4,000 with air. Costs depend on many factors; however, such as international airfare, how many faculty are included in the student price, how many participants there are, how many meals are included, how much travel is involved and what type of accommodation is requested. We are happy to put together a special program just for you, based on your budget. There is no charge for putting together a proposal.
3. Where are you located, and where do you go?
We are located in Portland, Oregon. With more than 15 years of experience in Asia, AEA started with program assistance in Asia and the South Pacific, then grew to other regions because of the requests of our clients. Now, we offer services in all of Asia and Europe, plus many countries in Latin America, the Caribbean, Oceania and Africa. We have also recently launched limited service to Canada and the USA. We only service destinations where we are able to offer the same level of service and unique contacts as we can in our original destinations.
4. Do you have people on the ground in each location?
Yes, we have in-country managers, local program managers, 24-hour emergency contacts, and local guides in each country. In many countries, like China and India, we also have two or more regional managers. In addition, we have the following international managers: three in the Americas- one based in the US, one based in Costa Rica for Central America, and one in Paraguay for parts of S. America; one European manager based in Germany; and three in Africa- one in Rwanda for East Africa, one in South Africa for Southern Africa, and one in Ghana for West Africa.
5. What about insurance?
AEA maintains general, professional and automobile liability coverage up to $1 million, with the option to increase coverage to $5 million. The university also has the option to be added as additional insured at no additional charge. AEA requires all participants attain international health and evacuation insurance and can supply this for individuals or groups at $3/ day per person. AEA recommends trip cancellation insurance, and can recommend where to buy this, but we neither require nor purchase this on the client’s behalf.
6. Can AEA supply references?
Yes, in addition to the testimonials on our website, AEA can also put you in touch with real, live faculty and program coordinators that have worked with us.
7. Can AEA do my alumni, executive MBA program?
Absolutely. And most likely at a much better price.
8. Why haven't I heard of AEA before?
You have now, and odds are someone told you about us. About 80% of our clients come through referral. To keep costs down, we do not advertise, except to attend a few conferences a year: NAFSA National, NAFSA Region 1, and FORUM. If you would like to meet us at one of these, please send us an email at Team@aeastudyabroad.com
9. Does AEA accept credit cards?
As a general rule, AEA does not accept credit cards. This saves you 3-4%. If necessary, however, AEA can accept credit cards at that extra cost.
10. How is AEA different from others?
- Just like your students, no two (programs) are alike. We tailor every program to each group’s needs, interests, and budget.
- Our team and clients are family. AEA is built on genuine relationships. When you travel with us, you may eat a home-cooked meal in our relative’s kitchen or spend the night in the jungle with a family friend, for example. Our team is family and we treat you like family, too.
- Safety is important to us. We have an in-country team that will greet you upon arrival, local bilingual guides that will accompany you throughout the program, and a 24/7 emergency line you can call at any time. We also provide extensive pre-departure info that includes the location of nearest hospitals, important phone numbers, and even a list of tips on how to stay safe while traveling abroad.
- We care about the people and places where we travel, too. Have you ever had a guest with bad manners in your home? They ruin the experience for everyone! When we travel, we are guests in the countries, communities, and homes we visit. So we want to ensure we are always observing and learning from locals, and asking how we can do better. We believe in “responsible travel” – actively increasing our positive impact and decreasing our negative impact on people and planet – and we hope you do, too.